Are you moving into a brand new home or are you redecorating the family room in your present home? Either way, if you have chosen to decorate the room with a Western theme, here are some ideas that may inspire you to create something unique and attractive.
The Walls - Have you ever thought of faux painting your walls? Even if you are not an accomplished artist, you can give your walls the look of rustic leather yourself. You start by using two different colors of brown paint and sponging them lightly onto the walls. Before the paint dries, go over it with a soft cloth of a brush and - voila! You have a leather looking wall. Of course if you're not comfortable trying this yourself, a professional can do the job. Other faux painting ideas are the look of suede or denim.
The Furniture - Think of going with a rustic look for a really authentic Western mood.
- Leather upholstery for your sofa and chairs would be one really great choice. If you'd rather use fabric, consider red or blue denim. Brown or tan corduroy or duck cloth would be great, too. All of these materials would wear really well and would provide the look you are trying to establish.
- Consider using wooden crates for end tables and an old steamer trunk for your coffee table.
- Another idea would be to use wooden rocking chairs. If you can find antique ones, that would be awesome.
The Decor - Think about borrowing some ideas from old cowboy movies.
- Posters from old cowboy movies like My Darling Clementine or Stage Coach would be great, and so would pictures of movie stars like John Wayne, Alan Ladd, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, especially if you place them in rustic wooden frames.
- Another really fun idea would be to photograph all of your family members in Western clothes and finish them in sepia tones. Frame them individually or create a wonderful collage to cover a lot of space.
- Think about framing sayings that add to your cowboy mood. A couple to consider are What the world needs is more horses! or Keep your boots off the fancy furniture!
- Brass coal mining lanterns, spurs and antique bottles would be great for your fireplace mantle.
The Windows - Think about selecting a window treatment that will darken the room well when your family is watching movies or television.
- If you select fabric curtains, consider using a roller shade that can be pulled down when you want the room to be dark.
- Gingham would be really great, and so would fabric with barn yard animals, cowboys and Indians, stars or spurs in the design.
- A really good choice would be wooden window blinds or wooden shutters. Both would give the room light or darkness, depending on what you need at the time.
Wooden window blinds or shutters are both affordable and will last for a very long time. They're so easy to install that you can do the job yourself. If you want a professional to do the installation, call a company like Sylvans & Phillips Drapes and Blinds.
Have fun decorating our western family room.Share